Praying for Your Children: Intercession
Part 4 of 6
Series: Praying for Your Children
Job, who was a great spiritual man, believed the most important thing he could do at the beginning of a day was to pray for his children.
“His sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and drink with them. And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all…” (Job 1:4–5).
No doubt you have prayed for your children, but sometimes these prayers can be rather generic. The following suggestions include specific things to pray for your children.
Pray for your children:
- That they will trust Christ as their Savior. (See Psalm 63:1 and II Timothy 3:15.)
- That they will have a hatred of sin. (See Psalm 97:10.)
- That they will be caught when doing wrong. (See Psalm 119:71.)
- That they will be protected from the evil one in each area of their lives: spiritual, emotional, and physical. (See John 17:15.)
- That they will have a responsible attitude in all their interpersonal relationships. (See Daniel 6:3.)
- That they will respect those in authority over them. (See Romans 13:1.)
- That they will desire the right kind of friends and be protected from the wrong friends. (See Proverbs 1:10–11.)
- That they will be kept from the wrong mate and be saved for the right one. (See I Corinthians 6:14–17.)
- That they, as well as those they marry, will remain pure until marriage. (See I Corinthians 6:13–20.)
- That they will be single-hearted, willing to be sold out to Jesus Christ. (See II Timothy 1:5–7, 3:14–17.)
- That they will be hedged in so they cannot find their way to wrong influences, places, people, or friends, and that these temptations will not come against them. (See Hosea 2:6.)
- That they will learn the great virtue of humility. (See James 4:6.)
Adapted with permission from material by Pastor Charles W. Wetherbee of Victory Baptist Church, Weatherford, Texas.