Praying for Your Children: Dedication
Part 1 of 6
Series: Praying for Your Children
As parents welcome a new baby into their home, many wonder: What is the most important thing I can do for my new son/daughter?
The most important thing you could do for a new son or daughter—who is God’s special gift to you—is to dedicate your child back to God. This dedication should be done by both parents, and can be done in your home.
- Get alone with God.
- Confess your own iniquities.
- Psalm 66:18 says that if I regard any iniquity in my heart, God will not hear my prayer.
- Ask God to reveal any area in your life that has not been given to Him or any stronghold of Satan (false philosophies, sinful habits, unconfessed sin) that is still standing. For a pattern of how to pray, read Daniel’s prayer in Daniel 9:3–19.
- Acknowledge the specific iniquity.
- Ask God to cleanse the iniquity in the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Ask God reclaim any ground given to Satan and tear down every stronghold.
- Claim freedom for your child.
- Pray that God would cut off generational iniquities and sinful influences.
- Claim Psalm 103:17, that from now on righteousness would be the heritage of your children and for future generations. Commit this great verse to memory.
- Dedicate your child to God.
- Verbalize your desire to raise this child for the Lord. Pray that your child would come to saving faith in Christ at a young age. Pray that his life would bring glory to God.
- Ask for wisdom to raise the child in the way God would have him to go.
“Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, I come to you desiring my child [give full name] to be free from all generational sins, iniquities, and their results that may have an influence upon my child. I thank you for saving me and cleansing me of my sin. I confess that I belong to you, and I dedicate my child [give full name] to you.
“I now confess and repent of all my sins, known and unknown. I now confess the sins of my forefathers. In the name and the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, I ask You to break and I renounce the power of all generational sins, iniquities, and curses that were passed down to me by the sins or actions of others. I now renounce and ask you to break and loose me and my family from all demonic subjection that would seek to influence or control me or my family in any way contrary to the Word or will of God. I claim release and freedom through the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. I pray that my son/daughter would fear You, and that from now on righteousness would be the heritage for my family, for my children, and for future generations.
“Lord, I pray that [give full name] will receive you as his/her Savior at an early age. Place within his/her heart a desire to follow you all the days of his/her life. Keep him/her pure and willing to wait until you reveal your life partner for him/her in your perfect will. If it is your will for him/her to be married, I ask that you would set apart for yourself a life partner for him/her and that they would keep themselves pure. I pray that his/her life would bring glory to You, and I ask that you would give me wisdom in training him/her up in the way You would have him/her to go. Amen.”
Adapted from material by Jim Logan, except where noted otherwise.